Buff/Lavender silkies 1 week later after arriving.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, May 3, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    1 week ago, I got some silkies from a man named Mike Lee. He mixes Lavender silkies with buff silkies to attempt to get a perfectly clean buff silkie free of any markings. The reason why he does that is cause blue or lavender dilutes the black pigmentation and lightens the red pigmentation in buff birds. ( Or atlease thats what I understood from what people have told me. ) Anyways I got 7 of his culls from him a week ago and they are really growing. I even think that one of them he gave me that he culled was a mistaken cull. As it had very light almost white legs when I got it but as the week has passed those legs have changed and darkened into a pale blue. I think they will continue to darken as it grows older. Yet it's coloration is very nice light buff with no dark spots to be found so far.
    Another that I have noticed a lot of change in is the little blue chick he gave me. It had whiteish buff around its eyes. But now its wing feather's tips are getting a buffish white on them. Most the other birds are buffs with some blue on them which is lightening with each day. I even have what seems to be a blue partirdge. Only time will tell. Its fun seeing them grow and surprise me with all the little changes ! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    They are beautiful! Glad you gave the poor rejects a happy home [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    XD the rejects, that sound so catchy lol.

4. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    haha yes...its funny because they are so beautiful! don't seem like rejects to me at all. i would love a silkie!

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    How cute they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by