Buff/Light Sussex Cockerel - cross breeding question!!

stephkerrsk

Hatching
Mar 7, 2019
Sussex, UK
Hello,

So I'm looking for some advice;

Early last year I hatched the below cockerel ( Buff Father over light Sussex Mother), not realising that he wasn't pure!

Well now I have him, I'm curious to experiment.

Can anyone tell me please what the offspring of the following would look like:

This Cockerel cross over a pure light sussex hen?

and,

This Cockerel cross over a pure buff sussex hen?

What will the cockerels and pullets of each cross look like, and then any advice on variations after that? I.e. if i put the offspring back to this cockerel then what could happen?

Its possible to get back to pure eventually I would imagine, but in the mean time does it create any other colours, like coronation sussex for example?

I'm really interest in genetics
52082329_10158099538699348_4466707486090461184_n.jpg
52347556_10158099538704348_688761932206833664_n.jpg
but have a lot to learn yet I know!

Thanks for your help! :)

The only difference between the two varieties is that buff Sussex are gold, light silver. Silver is dominant, and is sex-linked; while males have two loci for the gene, females have only one. With that in mind, a cockerel may be silver, gold, or both, like your bird, however hens may only ever be one or the other, a trait always inherited from their father.

Thus your cockerel here will produce both buff and light pullets with either group, as he has both silver and gold and may pass either to his daughters. Males from the light group will be silver, half pure light Sussex, half splits like your boy. From the buff group, half will be buff, half splits again.

The only difference between the two varieties is that buff Sussex are gold, light silver. Silver is dominant, and is sex-linked; while males have two loci for the gene, females have only one. With that in mind, a cockerel may be silver, gold, or both, like your bird, however hens may only ever be one or the other, a trait always inherited from their father.

Thus your cockerel here will produce both buff and light pullets with either group, as he has both silver and gold and may pass either to his daughters. Males from the light group will be silver, half pure light Sussex, half splits like your boy. From the buff group, half will be buff, half splits again.

Thank you very much, that’s fascinating! Can I ask how do you know all this? Is it just practice or are there any good reads/articles out there that will better help me understand genetics? Particularly sussex ones?
Thanks!

Thank you very much, that’s fascinating! Can I ask how do you know all this? Is it just practice or are there any good reads/articles out there that will better help me understand genetics? Particularly sussex ones?
Thanks!
The post you quoted is 100% correct

In my case, independent study and practice led me to my knowledge. However, the following links are great resources; my favorites actually.
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html

Back
Top Bottom