Buff Minorca or what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by faykokoWV, Sep 6, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I originally thought these chicks were buff orpingtons, but I noticed today that they now have white earlobes. Are they actually buff minorca's or something else. They have white legs.

week 1

[​IMG]

week 4

[​IMG]

week 10

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    You are right-Buff Minorca

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep. Them there are Buff Minorcas! [​IMG]

4. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    rodriguezpoultry , I went ahead and added these girls to the breed page with a caveat that the picture was of a pullet and I will post again when they are older. I read you breed page to see what I need to know about them.

They were part of a Pullet surprise special from a hatchery. I already had a BO and I thought they look just like she did as a chick. Was there anything I should have noticed earlier that would have given me a clue?

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They may have been smaller than Buff Orpingtons, but with hatchery birds, there is little to absolutely no way you could have known what they were until they feathered out.

They both have white legs and white beaks, so it's easy to confuse them with Buff Orpingtons at the same age. The earlobe was probably the only thing that gave it away except for the whole "type" thing.

6. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    thanks, nice to know I wasn't a complete birdbrain about it! [​IMG]

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for your post. I had one exactly like yours I was going to post, but you saved me the trouble. But aren't they supposed to have a much larger comb, even on the pullets/hens? Or does that come once they are mature and laying?
    Thanks.
    Minniechickmama

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Once they mature, the comb begins to become larger.

If you watch closely, even as an older hen ages, the comb continues to lengthen. It's amazing to watch, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by