Buff not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Sep 2, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have had our girls for 10 days now, and one of them is a BIG FAT buff orp. No eggs from her yet. Is it true they lay only brown eggs? We have had white ones only.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Buff orps lay brown eggs, though I do have one that lays very pale brown eggs and they sometimes look white. I can always tell its hers though due to the size and texture, she has bumpy eggs compared to the other girls.

3. debilorrah

I am also wondering what is her delay? She should be laying by now. I have two that are laying, she should be and the others any day now. But that buff, Audrey, is HUGE. BIG girl!

4. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    How old is she? If she is a girl of laying age, but has been transplanted from a previous home to yours, it can sometimes take a few weeks for them to start laying again.

5. debilorrah

I am not sure how old she is, but her legs are no longer yellow, so she is of laying age. And we did just get her 10 days ago. I guess I am anxious!

6. Redfeathers

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's hard to wait, I know... [​IMG]

There have been several posts here and there about the same problem you are having, most people have suggested that just waiting and giving them time to settle and insuring their diet is optimum, will in time have them laying well for you. Does she have access to oyster shell? Is she on layer pellets or crumble? If you are doing everything right as far as diet, then you should be fine and she will lay for you, unless she's old. Good luck!!

7. debilorrah

No oyster shell yet, but we do give them broccoli every day - they eat that like there's no tomorrow!! We just can't afford all this stuff at once :)

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    She will not have yellow legs, Buff Orps are an English breed with white skin and legs.

9. debilorrah

Thanks for telling me that. I posted a question a few days ago asking how to tell age... I still wish I knew! We bought the hens and roo 10 days ago and I have no idea how old they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by