Buff Ordington Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeatherPriser, Jan 11, 2017.

1. HeatherPriser

HeatherPriser New Egg

Jan 11, 2017
    Claypool, Indiana
    I have decided on the Buff Ordington Chickens as a pet! I am so extremely excited about getting them! I am NEW to this, as i have only ever had cats, dogs, fish and a bird once. Any advice i would greatly appreciate! Thank you and God Bless!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hello again, I answered your other post. If you would like to know more about buff orps put "buff orpingtons" in the search box and it should bring up several items. You may also want to check out the 'reviews," section to see how others rate them as a breed.

3. twoacrefarm

twoacrefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2016
    Indiana
    Welcome! You are going to love BO's! I have 2, one roo and one hen. I call my hen Mama, she was the first to lay an egg out of 11, she is the most friendly and the most curious. She loves to eat from my hand and loves to follow me around as I garden. She is perfect!

4. orrpeople

orrpeople Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    Oh, I adore my two BOs! They are great flock mates to the rest of my layers. And, their personalities are very distinct - one is a lover, one is a noise box! Mine are not the greatest layers, but they are fairly consistent - about 3-4 a week. They're both so wonderfully fluffy, with their almost curly bustles and puffy pantaloons, that they're a pleasure to see out in the orchard grazing! The only drawback I have had is that they feel the heat of summer a bit more than everyone else, so I work to keep them cool (frozen berries and watermelon in an ice block and lots of shade).
    I agree with everyone else that there are lots of articles and comments about the breed on byc. But, for a first choice, I think BOs will bring you a lot of joy!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG]

6. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I recently acquired a trio bred to the American Standard that I'm planning to breed next month. This is my first year breeding birds and I didn't originally set out to breed Orpingtons but my wife and I came across them at a show a little while ago and fell in love with them. The ones we have are extremely friendly and I think a great breed. Ours are the buff variety but I also really like the original color (black) and may see about breeding those later too. I don't know if you know it or not but there's an English (International) standard and an American standard. When they came to North America a way long time ago, I think around the late 1800's-early 1900's, they became popular but Americans desired a dual purpose bird that laid more eggs than the original version, so the American variety took on a slightly different shape that's more conducive to egg production. I don't know if you're interested in all the history, etc. but I find it interesting. There's couple of groups on Facebook if you're interested in to learn more, and there's also the United Orpington Club (http://www.unitedorpingtonclub.com/) that has a lot of information about them.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out the articles in the Learning Center...the information there will help you get off on the right foot.

Thanks for joining us!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Buff Orps are always a great choice. Super personalities and prolific layers. Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by