Buff Orfington chick not doing well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srmarx, Feb 21, 2017.

1. srmarx

srmarx New Egg

Jul 17, 2014
    We got three chicks yesterday from the grange in Seattle. The Buff Orfington has been mostly lying down but does eat and drink occasionally. But her behavior is odd. She lies down in strange places, like with her head almost in the food or water bowl. Any ideas of what to try?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    How warm is their brooder you got them in?

3. srmarx

srmarx New Egg

Jul 17, 2014
    Plenty warm. I don't have a thermometer but the girls sleep on the edge of the infrared perimeter and seem happy there.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Have you tried sav-a-chick or similar or a little sugar water? You said a infrared----are you talking about a 250 watt red heat bulb?

5. lanebruce188

lanebruce188 New Egg

Feb 22, 2017
    Recently I bought nine chickens, three road Island reds, three buff Orpingtons, Three bard rocks and they seem to have a problem growing, I bought these chickens at three or four weeks old and I've had them for about two or three weeks now and they have grown a little but seem to have stopped i've been watching the other chicks from where I got them and they have grown three times bigger than what my chicks are. I feed them constantly and give them water constantly but they have seemed not to get any bigger they have all their feathers and a very healthy but just will not grow can someone help me out with my problem and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

6. srmarx

srmarx New Egg

Jul 17, 2014
    I don't know what the wattage is. Kind of hard to check without a mirror because of the way it's mounted in the enclosure.
    The main problem with the chick, I think, is walking. Unless prodded by one of the other two, she take a few steps and then lies down. Just doesn't want to stand up very long. She eats and drinks and poops, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by