Buff orfingtons with foamy,swollen shut eyes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by welder05, Jan 3, 2014.

1. welder05

welder05 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Howdy, I'm new to BYC and I have two 1 year old pullets with foamy ,swollen eyes. They have eat good, drink, and act fine except for their eyes InThis shape. I have givin them terrimician in their water but was wondering what this is and what else I should do. I keep their house clean, they are wormed regular and their health are good. I'm at a lose. I've never had a sick chicken and have had them for years! Help please.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Sounds like they may have a respiratory or some other infection going on as well. You might try some Oxytetracycline in the water for 7 to 10 days. This may help the situation.

Great to have you aboard and I hope your hens recover soon. :)

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Foamy, swollen eyes are often a sign of a respiratory disease. There are many respiratory diseases, all with similar symptoms, so its hard to tell the exact disease. The Terramycin in the water should help if this is a bacterial respiratory disease, but if it doesn't, the disease may be viral (in which case antibiotics won't work). Giving electrolytes and keeping them warm and well fed is the best you can do for a viral disease. If you don't see improvement after the Terramycin, you may also want to try a different antibiotic, like Tylan50, whcih is a stronger and often better for respiratory diseases.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    After further thought here...smell the face and eyes. If there is a strong odor, it is probably Coryza. Coryza is known for its smell. It is infectious. You would need to use Sulfadimenthoxine. This anitibiotic will help well with Coryza. However, if this is the case, the birds will be carriers of Coryza the rest of their days.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your birds, hope you are able to get their illness resolved.

8. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your birds, hope all will be ok.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in resolving this problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by