Buff Orp adventures on a yucky, rainy day PICs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hinkjc, Nov 14, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here are some pics of some of my flock that decided to venture out on our rainy day today. Age ranges from 4 months up to 7 years old. Don't mind the wet, soggy and moulting gals. They would be upset if they knew I shared their pics. lol I hope you enjoy!

Some pullets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Mama - 7 year old hen and lap cuddler

[​IMG]

General:

[​IMG]

Fluffy backsides:

[​IMG]

General w/young pullet:

[​IMG]

With older pullets:

[​IMG]

Group pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of General's sons (there are 3 of them growing out):

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all lovely. General is so handsome. Does Big Mama still lay?

Thank you so much.

3. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks! Big Mama does still lay on occasion, but is not currently laying as she just finished moulting. I will also add that the two very light hens on the right side of the first 'group' pic are Peaches and Blondie - also 6-7 years old. My other 2 old girls didn't venture out today, Chickie Dee and Cali.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Aawwwww, ya gotta love those big fluffy butt orps! I really like the light shade of Peaches and Blondie. Do the buffs come in differing shades of buff, or are they bred that way? (Obviously I know nothing of genetics or standard colors! LOL)

I like your pictures! My whole ground is covered in leaves, wish I could see some green! LOL

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

[​IMG]

They look like they're playing ring-around-the-rosey here, Jody! [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You have some lovely chickens there!! [​IMG] Plus I always love seeing the buff orps. One of my 5 "babies" is a buff orp who's 9 weeks. Looking at her, it's hard to believe that she will eventually be that "full" looking...lol. I think she'll be lighter like Peaches and Blondie...

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Beautiful birds! [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, you can breed buff in various shades. I have bred really light ones over the years and really dark ones. I am now at about a medium shade and will probably stick with that for a while. I used to have buff silkies too and had some gorgeous light blonde ones. I liked that color the best on them.

Ann, LOL you are right. It does look like they have a little game going there. [​IMG]

teach - its amazing how fast they grow. And just when you think they're not going to get all that big, poof..they blow up into these humongous birds of fluff.

9. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    They are just beautiful!

10. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    They are beautiful!!!!

I wish I could get POL Buff Orps here! Would [​IMG] to add one or two to my little flock!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by