Buff Orp baby cockerel trying to mate -- at 8 weeks old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiechic, Jul 2, 2008.

1. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    I didn't believe it the first time I saw it, but he did it again yesterday - my baby buff orp roo is already trying out his mating skills. I've seen normal playfighting and pecking-order stuff, but this is very different behavior - he jumps on the other chick's back, grabs its neck feathers in his beak, the whole bit.

He only does it with the other buff orp, who I thought was also a roo, but s/he might not be (her comb is just as large as his, but more pink than red). He also chases my full-grown pullet around, and she lets him do it, even though she gives all other chicks a quick warning peck. Lucille is a meat bird so she's three times the size of this little roo-wannabe, and it's pretty funny to watch him run after her!

Here are some pics from last weekend; you can see His Manliness sunbathing in the foreground:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, my question is...is this common 8-week-old roo behavior? Is it specific buff orp behavior? I haven't seen any of the others try mating yet -- I have at least 3 other suspected roos, including two RI reds and one barred rock. If this keeps up, we're going to have to give the buff boy a pimp name like Huggy Bear. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've seen it with several cockerels at that age. My Welsummer boys were trying it at seven weeks old. That sure does seem a tad young, doesn't it? Poor girls, it's starting way too soon, LOL.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Take away that chick's testosterone pills!

Pretty roo - he will be a good rooster sounds like when he comes into his own if he doesn't burn himself out first!

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Thats how we get more chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by