Buff orp breeding??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sew the Farmers Wife, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    I was admiring the buff orp Roos today at the Fair, my catalog says the Buff Hens do go broody and are good mothers. So I was thinking about getting a Roo so maybe next spring one of my girls might hatch a brood. What are general experiences with the Buff Roos? They seemed pretty mello in the cages at the fair. I realize all personalites are different, but I have heard certain breeds have a higher tendancy towards protective behavior.

Also is the hatch rate of an Hen incubation the same as that in an incubator?

Any info wold be helpful!

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    mine was very nice and big he was 24'' tall at full size. he was my fav roo rip buffer [​IMG] but he was great hope yours will be as nice as him. Mitch

3. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    We currently have a Buff Orpington roo. As far as roos go he is a sweetheart but still does his "job". Hes also really quiet but that might just be him.

As far as natural incubation the hatch rate is reduced and fairly inconsistent from everything that I have read on the matter.

[​IMG]

~Tater

4. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    The ones at the Fair were very nice looking and massive, getting ready to order my Standard of Perfection book though [​IMG] I love my Buff orp girls, they have the nicest personalites ...

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I was thinking about breeding BO's too. I have one hen right now, and I just love her. I really hope I can hatch some next summer! [​IMG]

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:tatar
    what happen to that bird that does not have feathers around the neck ?

7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Nothing, I beleive that breed is called a turken. They don't have any feathers on their necks. [​IMG]

8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    thank u for answer the question never seen that breed before

9. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    No problem, I once wondered that myself! [​IMG]

10. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    We had a BO that was very handsome and not at all nice he went after every one ,just plain mean! He still lives with the Amish lady that does my birds ,she thought he was so pretty,but she told me the last time we brought birds up he got her good one day, soooo maybe, he is stew. We have an EE that is as sweet as can be. He was handled a lot as a chick, and perhaps that is the thing that makes them sweet? My BO hens are real sweet, same batch, can pick them up even when they are broody. Hope you get a good one and handle him a lot when he is a babe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by