Buff Orp/Buff Rock ?? rooster - trade for pullet/hen in coastal CA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by hobomom, Aug 22, 2007.

1. hobomom

hobomom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Idaho
    I need to find a good home for a Buff Orp (possibly Buff Rock) rooster. He was supposed to be a "she" and we were told he was a Buff Orpington but his legs are a pale yellow with a pinkish coloring along the sides of his legs. I've read on this forum that Buff Orps have white/pinkish legs, so I'm guessing that he may be a Buff Rock?? Anyways, he is a large rooster and he's about 5 months old. My daughter asks that you want to trade him as a PET - NOT FOR DINNER [​IMG] His name is Butterball (his real name is Yellowball but because of his size, he became Butterball).

We can't keep him since a friend gave us a couple of bantam hens in which the young roo has taken a great interest in one of them. The Barred Rock was his favorite before this little gal came along who is about a third of his size!

He's a nice rooster: he doesn't crow a lot (really!! - he's pretty quiet. He didn't start to crow until about two weeks ago), he lets my 9 yr old hold & pet him, puts up with my 5 yr old chasing him and is nice to the pullets he was raised with. He's nice to the bantams, too, but he's really just too big for them when he wants to do his "roo thing". And we don't have the capability to house them all in separate pens so this has been a tough decision.

So if you need a nice rooster for your flock of standard size hens I'll trade you for a pullet of the same age or a little older. I'd like to trade for a Buff Orp hen, if possible, but not necessary. Location: Atascadero, CA (Central Coast area - off HWY 101 past San Luis Obispo).

Thanks!
    Karen

Update: pictures of Butterball
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butterball with the girls
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  2. hobomom

Jul 16, 2007
    Idaho
    8-24-2007 UPDATE: This is urgent!! I really, really need to find him a home by this weekend or early next week .... per my husband. He doesn't want a rooster & wants him gone or else! ("or else" doesn't mean on the dinner plate). Please if you know of anyone who would like to adopt this sweet rooster please email me pronto! Even if you don't have a hen to trade, he just needs to go to a good home immediately.

Thanks!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I wish I wasn't on the other coast, he's a handsom guy.

4. yoshi xii

yoshi xii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    r u giving it away for free

5. hobomom

Jul 16, 2007
    Idaho
    Update: 8-26-2007 I think I have a home for him. We'll miss him but at least he will be with some other hens & not on a dinner plate [​IMG] Thanks, rooster-red, I'm sure Yellow Butterball would've loved GA!

Update: 8-28-2007 Yellow Butterball now has a home on a local organic farm with 70 pullets his age. I wonder if that is "rooster heaven" on earth?? Good thing he is young! Thank you to those who replied.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by