Buff Orp chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rowrena, Mar 2, 2017.

1. rowrena

rowrena Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Oregon
    Just got 4 new chicks within the last couple days. 2 SL, one SLW, and one is a Buff O. 3 are about a week old, but I'm not sure about the Buff. She seems slower than the other chicks, and when she walks, it almost looks like a waddling kind of walk. Her wing feathers also seem less developed than the other chicks, with a split section that almost like her wing feathers look like two fingers. She is eating, drinking, pooping well. She sleeps more than the other chicks and seems a little off balance sometimes. I wonder if something is wrong, or she's just younger? Also the SLW (who is the biggest right now) is kind of a bully and pecks at her and the other chicks.

New to raising chicks, so any advice helpful. Thanks.

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    She's just an early hatchling. Give her time

3. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    she may be younger. give TLC see if she drink good.

4. rowrena

rowrena Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Oregon
    Thanks for your replies. Today her wing feathers seem more developed (connected) without the obvious split. She still sleeps more than the rest, and doesn't stand as tall. I know I'm probably worrying too much, but this Buff was the one my 6 year old wanted the most, so I'm keeping a close watch on her. It's one thing to research and learn all the 'raising chicks' information- it's quite another when the little fuzzbutts are actually here!

5. rowrena

rowrena Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Oregon
    Update, she died two days after the last post. Just never did thrive. No pasty butt, no problems eating or drinking, just lethargic and smaller than the other chicks. Sad.

6. DourS

DourS Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    I had one of my 6 BOs act exactly like that. She also died.
    I figured she was weak from the start. But im new at this. Other 5 are doing great.

7. rowrena

rowrena Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Oregon
    Yeah, we ended up getting another one and she's doing just fine. I just wish I knew what the cause was. I'd hate to think my inexperience may have missed an obvious solution. Who knows? Maybe there is something BO's are prone to that I'm unaware of. Best of luck to yours.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by