Buff Orp Comb Hardiness

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Reinbeau, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I know the big, fleshy combs on Buttercups aren't very hardy and are susceptible to frostbite - but what about BO combs? Stumpy has a huge, magnificent comb and I can't image it is any more hardy than a Buttercup's - is there anything I can do to help him over the winter? Does frostbite hurt? I know it'll ruin the comb. Just wondering.....

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    All of my singled comb birds survived the winters here really well. You are a few hours north of me so I would think yours are going to be fine as well. As long as you have good ventiliation so the moisture can't condensation you should have to worry too much about frost bite. If it gets down in the teens and hangs there low or lower you can put a thick coat of vaseline on the combs to insulate against the tips freezing but in general they are cold hardy and do well.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Reinbeau, our four Buff Orps were fine last winter, only occasionally having a few black spots that went away quickly. I never had to put Vaseline on them, although I certainly would if necessary.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Thank you, both, and Buff, good to hear. So the black spots heal? Hopefully I'll never have to find out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by