1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orp comes after me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iwannachicken, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Iwannachicken

Iwannachicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    Hi,

I have a small mixed flock of 3 GLWs and 2 BOs, all hens. The Wyandotes are flighty and won't let me get near them.
    The larger of the Orpingtons is friendly, but not "lap chicken" material, which is fine, but the smaller one has become aggressive
    toward me and my DH when we open the coop to feed or water them. She'll eat scratch feed out of my hand but if I reach in for the feeder or waterer
    she raises up and puffs out and will aggressively come after me.

I've tried just pushing her away, but for the last couple of days I've had to be real forceful about it. She's not aggressive with the other hens, just people.

Any ideas?

They are almost 7 months old and haven't started laying yet.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    mabie "she's" a "he" ?

3. Iwannachicken

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    She doesn't crow and her comb is smaller than the other BO.

4. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    i've had agressive hens wen they are 'broody' but since yours arent laying, i doubt thats' the case..lol It'll be interesting to hear what someone might add..

5. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    How old are they? Sometimes when they are "teenagers" they start feeling their oats but I found all of my hens calmed down and became more friendly when they started to lay. When she comes at you, maybe if you try picking her up and carrying her around, that might let her know that you are the boss. Sorry your buffs aren't friendlier, we used to love our buff-Amelia Earhart- but she flew over the fence one day and I think a fox got her. . .

6. Iwannachicken

Jan 31, 2009
    Hoover, Alabama
    They are almost 7 months old.

I haven't handled them much since they went into the ark. I'll try carrying her around a little.
    She was the friendliest chick of the whole flock when she was small. This behavior has just started
    in the last couple of weeks.

Sounds like Amelia Earhart was aptly named!LOL

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:I vote broody... lol

Is she making and "clucking" noises?

8. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    We have one RedStar hen , Daisy from our original flock of peeps. She is agressive and pecks at me when filling food bowls or water so I swoosh her away with my foot and she puffs up and comes after me all the more. If I try to pet her she tries to bite me. Yet this is the most inquisitive hen that always has to to follow us around and be nosy. She loves to get in the garage and sit on my Hubbys table saw (which he hates) and in general just likes to be around US. I found that if I pick her and hold her and pet her she calms down. Sometimes I think she is asking for attention as she got held a lot as a baby. She is not the dominate hen either. I agree with the folks that say hold and pet her . Seems to work for us. Good luck!

9. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    I have 2 buff O's and they do the same thing. In fact I wish I had done more research into this breed because I am now reading alot that these aren't the friendliest of birds ( of course there are exceptions ) , mine are mean and scream bloody murder if you try to pick them up or hold them...we might try to give these away because of our small children!

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Perhaps because she is the smaller chicken she gets pushed aside from the food, and since you got her so accustomed to being a lap chicken, she feels comfortable enough to push YOU aside when she thinks you're taking her food.

She is probably lowest in the pecking order, and feels that you are lower than she is.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by