buff orp cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by skeeter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    will a rir and buff orp X have any white on them?I wouldnt think so but wasnt sure,I have some RSL BO cross and im pretty sure they are the ones with white wing tips,whadda yall say???????

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The problem with crossing 2 breeds is that genetics traits that parents or grandparents for several generations have NOT shown will be revealed.

Example: I bred a Buff Orpington Roo to a Barred Rock hen. 1 of the daughters looks like a Buff Partridge Rock.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yep...You never can tell what you will get...I had a chick hatch from a Buff Orpington Rooster and a RIR hen...she looks nothing like an orp, more rir than anything and small........red/black...

4. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    im not sure how many i have but some are BO and RIR,will be interesting to see how they turn out,they seem to grow right in front of your eyes

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Bet the RSL x BO are the ones with the white on them. I have a RIR/Buff Orp girl who is has the Orp size and shape and white legs, but is flaming red with black in her tail.

6. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    i hope i have a bunch of the rir bo X,if not ill have to talk my aunt into giving me some more eggs to hatch maybe even seperating the hens so I will for sure get that cross,but im sure any of the crosses will be good layers wont they,RSL and RIR hens X with BO roo ? oh yeah is that Meg that is the RIR BO cross? nice hen

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, that's my Meggie. Gee, she's becoming famous, too. She's a hefty girl, very friendly, good layer, wants me to pick her up and hold her, but I swear, I need a back brace to do it as long as she wants, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by