Buff Orp laying White Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaDragon, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    I've aquired a group of four BO hens three weeks ago, ranging in age from 3 years old on down. (Two roosters as well). I got them because they had stopped laying for their previous owners (two owners in less than 6 months, and no eggs), so I got them.

I've only got 1 hen, a White Leghorn that lays white eggs.

For the last three days, I've had two white eggs a day, one on the BO side of the coop, and one on the leghorn/RIR side. I've left the door between the two sides open in the daytime, and all of them have the run of the yard in the daytime.

When I looked up the color eggs BO's lay, most sources say brown eggs, which is what I wanted, and one source says Yellow eggs (never heard of a yellow egg before, but OK)

Any ideas anyone?

Kathy

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    This is totally a guess but...egg color is a genetic thing. For example an EE is bred specifically for the green/blue egg color. Sometimes you are not so lucky and get brown eggs from ee layers.

My guess is the BO may have been cross bred somewhere down the line with a white egg layer and now has the gene for white eggs. It's offspring may or may not lay white or brown eggs.

So to sum it all up...It is all in the genes.

3. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    One of my buff orps (bought just 1 orp ...in the begining..lol) she lays a very pale egg. It is darn close to my leghorns white.

4. MamaDragon

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    The Buff Orps were all from a local breeder.... so I assumed that they were of "pure stock", and of better quality than hatchery birds.

I can't complain tho.... they didn't cost me anything but the feed they eat, so I guess as long as it's laying, I'll take it!

Thanks Y'all

Kathy

5. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have 9 bo hens. It seems that they all lay a different shade, from a fairly dark brown, to a pale pink.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one Buff Orp hen AND one RIR hen who lay cream colored eggs. Someone here called them "porcelain bisque", to be more descriptive.

7. MamaDragon

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    Thanks All!

At least I know I'm not losing my itty-bitty mind.... [​IMG]

So- is white or brown the dominant gene? anybody know how that works?

Also, just what is a Yellow egg?

Kathy

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by