Buff orp or buff rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3peeps, Jul 6, 2007.

1. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I just read someone else's post about Buff Orps/Rocks and yellow legs.

This is the Buff Orp girl I ordered from MM...supposedly. Do you think she (hopefully a she!) is really a Rock? Look at those yellow legs!

Also, I do see the faintest bit of pink on her comb and I heard Orpington females stay yellow pretty long...she's only 4 weeks now.

[​IMG]

2. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i saw a bunch of Buff Orps pullets when i was picking out my chickens. and it looks like a Buff Orp to me.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Orps have pinky white legs, not yellow. And there should be NO pink in a comb on a pullet at 4 weeks old in those breeds.

4. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I'll say buff rock because of the yellow legs. Buff orps have pink legs. Looks pretty hennish to me so far. Good luck with her!

5. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Thank you.

So, what the heck gives with the hatchery? I think I'm going to call them on Monday.

6. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:And I take this to mean both Orpingtons and Rocks...when do Rocks get the pink as pullets?

7. speckledhen

I've raise Barred Rocks, same breed, different color, and the cockerels get pink in the comb by maybe three weeks; the pullets, maybe eight weeks or later, in my experience.

8. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Well, I'd say that the skin at the very base of the comb is blushed...the pointy part that stands up is yellow.

Holey confusing Batman.

9. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    He is not the same breed but here is m little old english game bantam at the same age as that baby he is definatly a male.
    [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

You know, it could be that the Buff Rocks are different, but I don't have those, just the Barred ones. Maybe there's no reason to panic. I know from personal experience that they make sexing mistakes more than they like to admit. BUT, if that's a Buff Orp, then there's some bad breeding going on.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by