Buff Orp or New Hampshire Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Janet, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Janet

Janet New Egg

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi..my chicks are about 3 weeks old....I have figured out the Rhode Island Red (I ordered 4 and I have four that look alike but they sure look more brown than red to me), and I have only three anconas so that was pretty easy as were the only two silver laced W.
    Now...my problem: I ordered 3 buff orps and 3 New Hampshire Reds and I still can't tell them apart! 2 have darker wings with white on the edges. 2 look more uniform in color in that their wings still match the rest of their body...the other two seem in-between...ugh...The ones with the darker wings have grown the fastest and are the largest whatever that means. As soon as I can fix my camera I'll send pictures. Any ideas though from these descriptions? What should I look for?
    Thanks --Janet

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Check out the baby poultry page at www.feathersite.com. You may be able to narrow it down.
    Get those pics up and somebody may know, too!

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Here's a picture of my NHR Sally at 3 weeks.

[​IMG]
    I seem to think their wings were all mostly a uniform color, although they did have a bit of edging of black and white, although you couldn't see it when their wings were folded.

-Meghan

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by