Buff Orp owners I need some of your knowledge ---- Please Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay I am the proud mommy of 5 buff orp pullets I think, so I need some knowledge from those of you that have older ones then 8 or 9 weeks. I was out with the girls and I picked my very favorite girl and got looking at her face. She is looking pink around the face and eyes almost like she is got no feathers there if you look close at her and her comb is looking pinker then some of the others at 8 1/2 weeks. Her wattles are also starting to slowly emerge, not big yet but you can see them more so then on some of the others. Her comb is really not any much biggeer then the others but I need to have this question answered-- At about what age did your BO hens start to develop their combs and wattles and did all of your girls develop them at the same rate ? I got her last as she was a left over all alone in the bin with 3 others ( she was the friendliest one) at the feed store and I am not even sure if she is the same age, she could be a little older then the others. All of the girls combs are at different stages of growth, not one of them looks the same as someone else and I know that 4 of them are the same age. So please put my fears to rest, as this is my very favorite girl and it will break my heart if she turns out to be a roo instead. She is the sweetest one of the bunch, always wants to be held and will even put her head on my shoulder if I hold her sometimes, follows me all over if I am out in the pen, I love her like crazy. So can anyone answer me and tell me how old their girls were when they started to develop ? My husband has an unwritten rule here " If it crows - it has to go." I can't hide her forever if she turn into a he though. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Without seeing a picture, I'm sure most will have a hard time telling if your she is a he but just from what you've said, I would probably say she is a she. I have 3 Buff Orp and they are all developing at different rates too. I noticed about 3 weeks ago that there was some pink around my Lottie's eyes. The other two, Alice and Rosalie, had none. They are 12 weeks old now and pretty much look the same as they did 3 weeks ago but with some small wattles showing and a little more pink around the eyes. My RIR's and Black Sex Links are the same. They are all the same age but developing way different. One of my RIR's looks like she is ready to start laying. I'm pretty much convinced that pullets are like teenage girls - they all develop at their own pace no matter what the book says!

Here are some pics of the girls for reference.

Rosalie
    [​IMG]

Lottie
    [​IMG]

Alice
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much Zoomumzy, I feel better now as my Tallula looks alot like your Lottie does at this point in time. She is just so sweet and I so want to keep her, I think you are right though they are like teenagers and develop not all at the same time. thanks again, Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Poppycock

Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    You guys are scaring me! I have a 3 week old Buff Orpington with a comb as big as Lottie's and she's supposed to be a pullet. ARGH! We can't have any roos:eek:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 BOs and I think they are all pullets.... all developed at different times and stages. It's really hard to tell. I had a little one... the runt and all of a sudden a comb and waddles appears in a flash and I thought - yikes it's a roo... but it stopped developing and now it looks like the other 2 gals.... go figure.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The best time to determine the roos is early (around 5 weeks old). The girls are never pink at this stage and boys in most cases are. Once you get to 8-12 weeks, it becomes tougher to tell the differences unless there are really obvious roos. The pinkness starts coming in on the pullets and makes them deceive you. At this age (8-12 wks), the best way to tell is by body shape, saddle feathers and such.

Jody

7. lovemychicks9

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thank you all so much for all the help with my questions. I sooo appreciate your answers and knowledge. You guys are the best and it is so nice to have so many friends here at
    BYC that we can always count on. I know that the girls did not have pink combs at 5 and 6 weeks. It has just been the last week maybe they have all the sudden started to pink up and develop. So now I can sleep tonight pretty dog gone sure I can keep my sweeties. Thank you all so much Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] : jumpy [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Your welcome Trudy. I think we are both safe with our girls. I'm glad too because I love my Buffs so much. Now the Black Sex Links...they can go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by