Buff Orp... pullet or roo???? EDIT with new pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wjallen05, Dec 5, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia

*EDIT*

Here are a couple new pictures that I just took of him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe s/he is 16 weeks old.

I just got him/her yesterday. This is supposed to be a pullet... but I'm thinking it's a cockerel. He/She has a larger comb and wattles than my two Buff Orp hens who are 8 months old. This one is 4 months old. I'm actually hoping it's a rooster. My sweet precious roo was attacked by dogs that came onto our property. [​IMG]

Excuse the poor quality photos... I am keeping him (her?) and the Aracauna pullet in this cage until we finish extending the chicken coop (which the hubby is working on right now). I can't let the chickens free-range anymore. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I'd say cockeral cause I see the beginnings of shiny hackle feathers coming in.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can't tell at this point from these pics roo or pullet.

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    My Buff Orpingtons are now about 4 months old, and their combs and wattles are not that big. Or as red as that. They are still very small and a light pink color. I keep checking the shape of the feathering on their necks. So far all the feathers are rounded and not pointy at all.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Well, I also have 4 months old BOs. My pullets are just starting to get red like that, but my roos have way bigger combs and wattles. I can't say 100% what gender it is. I'll say if it's light buff feathered, it's a hen. If it's getting dark golden feathers in, it's a cockerel.

6. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree.

7. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:I was just re-calculating, and my chicks are just now only 11 weeks and 12 weeks old.
    The Buff Orpingtons are 11 weeks old today, the Barred rocks are 9 days older.
    Here they are 5 minutes ago.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the Orpingtons
    [​IMG]

As you can see they still don't have much in the way of combs or wattles. I don't know if they will change their combs and wattles much in the next month..

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    This was about 2 weeks ago. Their combs are significantly larger already.

15 week old cockerels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    thanks for all the responses!

I am confused. His age is somewhere around 14-15 weeks. He has a much larger comb/wattles than the 11 week old pullets but smaller than the 15 week old cockerel. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    No, def boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by