Buff Orp Right Eye looks wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outlawfarmer, Nov 20, 2010.

1. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    How can I tell if it just got pecked in eye or disease/infection.
    Looks like nose side of the right eye socket is swollen, not the eye but tissue around that side of the ball?
    any ideas?>

Edited for language, please review the rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you tried cleaning it out with water or something for eyes? not sure but something could be in there causing it to be irritated.

3. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    gonna grab her tonight and try once I get the kids down n use saline

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hard to tell without a picture, but it sounds like it could be a sinus infection.

5. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just got her out of the coop, as its dark. Brought her into flood light and she held the bad RIGHT eye closed but opened the good left. The RIGHT eye had crusty golden dryied puss looking stuff around the opening.
    I blasted it with a small bottle of saline and that loosened it. Then a couple q-tips across it got the crustys off.
    Then I squirted some more saline and blasted some up her RIGHT nostril.
    I got some small flecks of soil out too on the Qtip. I am hopefull it was a fleck of soil in her eye and it started the pussing etc.
    Not sure if doing this each night will work, but she is otherwise healthy and strong with no breathing problems.
    Any thoughts r welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pic sucks but you can see the forward corner of the right eye is golden puss looking stuff

6. chickrabbitdog2

chickrabbitdog2 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Warrenton
    I have the same exact situation occuring with my buff orpington hen. at first i thought she'd been pecked as there was a perfectly round hole just in front of her eye and the eye was "watery" looking. there was no redness or variation of color near the hole. first the area around the right eye, now both, and more holes. she also has a rather "foul" smell. the other hens don't have this smell. i have isolated her to eliminate pecking as a cause. i will try bathing her face and try to think of some type of treatment to give her in addition to the use of saline. i would appreciate any recommendations on "safe" products to use on chickens and near the eyes, in particular - fungacides and antibacterials. it also occured to me that the agricultural extension agent may be a useful source to inquire with. if anyone knows if it is not a good idea to involve the extension office, please let me know. Thanks in advance to all who try to help.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Ouch, that looks awful. Could that be some kind of respiratory or sinus infection?

8. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Just read another post about something similar. Can't find it at the moment. Something about an infection in the air sack around the eye?

9. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
  10. outlawfarmer

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Birds eye took a week of eye ointment every other day then week or two before the orbit around it looked normal again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by