1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff ORP Roo + 3 hens = ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Treg, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Treg

Treg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Central TX
    I had a Buff Orp Rooster that was very active, but became too agressive towards my 5year old grandson. I was able to place in another home with more hens. I am told he is very happy there.
    Shortly after he left the Buff Orp hen went broody and claimed all eggs in the coop. We let her set on 11 eggs. We noticed them starting to dissappear, and discovered a nearby snake. She was down to three eggs. Which all three hatched out! Only two survived.
    At the time the hens we had were - 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, Buff Orp, and a RIR
    Here are the photos of them, they hatched out 23 Aug 10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

They look to be Wyandotte crosses. Adorable

3. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    Your black and white looks alot like mine so if you find out what it is, let me know.... mine is between 4-6 months of age... we just got her/him from a farm
    [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    They are both Buff Orp x SLW. The white/black is a roo, and the buff/black is a pullet. A Buff Orp x SLW makes sex-link chicks!

5. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sex link chicks? That's pretty awesome! I know what I'm crossing this spring! [​IMG]

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Sex link chicks? That's pretty awesome! I know what I'm crossing this spring! [​IMG]

Check out this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

You
    can make sex-links out of a LOT of crosses! [​IMG]

I saw you have a Barred Rock too. Here's a pic of my Buff Orp x Barred Rock pullets (their brothers were silvery barred):
    [​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I think that's a Delaware roo.

8. Treg

Treg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Central TX
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping one was a Roo.. They are both very pretty and it was way fun watching the Momma Hen protect them and lead them around the yard. But watch out if they got too far away and we were too close! The funniest was when we saw them roosting at night ON TOP of her!

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Ya i love the roosting. When my two younger SLW where about 4 months they would roost ontop of one of my leghorns. It was always the same leghorn too, yet she never mothered them. HAHA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by