buff orp shuts one eye?

Bluemoon420

The Rooster Queen
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Livingston County, MI
I was checking on my chicks and noticed my 4 week old buff orp was shutting her left eye. She is eating normally, drinking normally, and eye is not swollen, or even injured. She will open it, then close it again. Not really sure what this is, and if I should worry.

Bluemoon

Might be a minor injury you can't see, or even just some trash in her eye. I'd just keep an eye on her. If it persists or gets more irritated looking, you can pick up some ophthalmic antibiotic ointment in the feed store, or at least they have it here, Terramycin I believe. Might at least be soothing if she has a little scratch or something.

Let us know if she gets sicker.

Thanks, I put some of the terramicin oitment on it. I already had some for my dogs. It seems to help. She has been eating and drinking normally, so I don't think she's sick.

Bluemoon

Just an update... She is still keeping that eye shut, but the ointment seems to help. She has no other symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, lethargic, nothing. None of her brooder mates are affected either. So, hopefully, after a day or two, she'll be ok.

Bluemoon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom