Buff orp sitting on Serama eggs

Ginmary

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
we were gone for 3 days and when we got home our buff orp was broody in the nest. There is no rooster for her and the ameracauna so I took their eggs out from under her. Our silkie didn’t lay. However, one of our Seramas is a roo who has recently been mating with his two hens.

I tried taking the buff out of the nest box but after dropping one of the largest poos I’ve seen (I’m talking dog size!) she went right back in. I figured I’d take a gamble and I placed 4 Serama eggs under her.

How long should I wait before candling them to see if there is a chance of anything happening?

Ginmary

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
3ECD3545-906E-45EF-9360-65E41C4D15DF.jpeg A final update. My broody Buff Orp hatched two adorable Serama chicks on Dec 2nd. The size difference was too cute!

Ginmary

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
The only other flock mates are an Americauna and a Silkie. Mama and the chicks are with them all and are doing great. We are just now waiting to sex them and are praying for hens.

Ginmary

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
Update: the 2 Serama chicks are now7 weeks old. They are getting along fine with the other 2 full size pullets. They are still quite attached to mom. At least one of them is a Roo. Started the beginners crow yesterday. Hoping the other is a pullet. They are so sweet. I hate that we may have to rehome the Roo.

Top Bottom