Buff Orp. ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aleisfood, May 13, 2010.

1. Aleisfood

Aleisfood Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Ok here is my Question. Ive been Hatching eggs this spring and found a source of eggs that had what appear to be Buff Orp. Here is my pic of my first 4. and my next four hatch. Yes I am aware that there are two Barred Rocks as well. The B/R came from another source. But notice how light color a couple of chicks are. Also notice the black specks showing. I need to take some newer pic. of the first hatch the whiter one has started to get black checker on its back side of its neck. The parents of these eggs are perfect buffs. so is this normal ??[​IMG]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I don't think you should see dark brown or black feathers in a buff. They should be uniformly colored. I'm not sure what that means you have...

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Hi, if they are orpingtons they are definitely not pure and crossed with something else. They look to be Buff Rocks and not orpingtons. Orpingtons have whitish colored legs and buff rocks have yellow legs and your chicks have yellow legs. As far as the dark in their wings, maybe they are a buff orp/buff rock cross?? A pure buff of either breed will not have that peppering in them. Cute though! [​IMG]

4. Aleisfood

Aleisfood Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    well not sure either. was wondering if genetic are skipping around. This is more my Question. Would have trouble beleaving they where pure buff Orp. eggs if I didnt see the farm they came from. (it is all the chickens they have.)

5. williamsvicki3

williamsvicki3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    Pearl River
    I hatch a few buff orp and gold laced wyandotte crosses every now and then and that is what yours look like. Def. not pure buff. But will be very pretty chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by