buff orphington and plymouth rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sashurlow, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    We do not have birds yet, but do know where we will purchase them locally. Their supplier out of Ohio, but I forget the name.
    Regardless, it appears we will get two Buff Orpingtons and two plymouth rocks. Will this combination work?
    Scott

2. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    I have both breeds and they are great layers and get along really well. Both lay all winter if I add light hours. Is that what you meant by "will this work" in your post?

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    You can put different breeds together without much problem [​IMG]

4. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    I've read that the buff orphingtons are incredibly docile and need a complimentary breed. It would appear that its less of an issue than I'm reading.
    Scott

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I have 9 different breeds running together with no issue.

My BO is very sweet. My Barred Rocks are curious and friendly. One is amusingly mischevious. If I leave the back door open she ALWAYS goes into the kitchen, and hops in the mealworm bucket.

You will be happy with both.

6. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Should have no problems.

7. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I have both and some sex links as well. The BO and BR are my favorite as far as personality, they seem to be the most friendly with me and my kids. Our favorite BO (she died) used to let my 2 year old follow her aroung and pet her all the time. I think you will be pleased with both breeds, and they get along just fine. Also, be warned, chickens can be addictive (I know- I started with 4 and now have 14 less a year later) [​IMG]

8. PaintedPony

PaintedPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Not to steal this thread, but if you cross a BO rooster with a BR hen will the offspring follow the sex-link coloring pattern?

9. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    We have 2 buffs, 2 rocks, 2 EEs and 19 red sex links all together with no problems. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by