Buff Orphington and.... ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MorganAH, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MorganAH

MorganAH Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Any guesses what this girl could be crossed with? She's 11 weeks old and was supposed to be full buff orphington, but I have my doubts. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Yeah not pure buff orpington, orps should have white legs, its crossed with something with yellow legs, color is slightly off too, too dark, maybe a rhode island red/ production red/ new hampshire red cross?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is a mix, since Orpingtons have white legs.I agree with Sunshine0235 that she may be Production Red/Orpington cross.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

Or, she could be a Buff Plymouth Rock.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the yellow legs and uniform (slightly off) buff color, I think she's likely a hatchery quality Buff Rock.

6. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    I thought Buff Orpington's COULD have yellow legs but it was considered a defect? I have eight Buff Orp hens and one has yellow legs. I know she's a full-blood Buff Orp because she's from the same clutch as all my other Buffs. She looks exactly the same but with yellow legs.

7. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Some time in the past a yellow legged bird (not an Orpington) was crossed into these Orps. The yellow legs are not a defect any more than a rose comb is a defect however, it disqualifies the bird from being an Orpington with regard to breed standards. To reverse it, a buff Rock with white legs is disqualified from being a Rock regardless of how good the type is. This doesn't make them any less of a chicken or how you value them unless you needed all the Orps to meet their breed standard. Also, since yellow skin is a recessive trait then some of the other birds from that clutch could be carriers. If bred together you could more yellow legged birds.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by