Buff Orphington Molting at 9 months old???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by st marys peeps, Dec 25, 2012.

1. st marys peeps

st marys peeps New Egg

Jun 4, 2012
    I have been seeing feathers in and around the coop for the last 3 weeks or so, but no one looked like they were molting. I was gone for 4 days and upon returning home, I see that one of my Buffs has lost a lot of feathers on her neck! I have no roosters and I do not believe the others are "pecking" on her as they have been together since they were about a week old. I am wondering if she could be molting? She is around 9 months old (born late March 2012). None of the other 3 seem to be molting, even the other Buff I have.

Please help as I am worried about her and this is my first year with my babies!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    More than likely she is molting, and if so you should soon see pin feathers apearing.

3. st marys peeps

st marys peeps New Egg

Jun 4, 2012
    Thanks Sourland... that makes me feel a little better. I tried to get a look at her neck while she was running around outside, but wasn't able to get a hold of her. I wanted to make sure there are no bugs or anything, but I would think the other 3 would be having the same issue if it was bug related?

Also, what will the pin feathers look like? I tried to look up pics on the site, but didn't really find any that I could actually see how they look.

We had a friend watching the chickens while we were away, and he said she was acting normally but I will start watching her tomorrow.

Thanks again!

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Post photos so people can see the feather loss pattern, that will help determine if it is molting or pecking.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pin feathers are spikey, quill like sheathed in a translucent material.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am having the same problem with my 9 month old Buff Orp!!! Bad thing is I am leaving for a 5 day trip day after tomorrow and I might have seen a dot of blood. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by