Buff Orphington or Barred Rock

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
I am going to order some chicks and I am stuck between BO and BR what do you all think? I am also ordering BSL as I have some of them already and I absolutely LOVE my girls! I am wanting to use the BO and BR to hatch more chicks for me so I need to know which has better egg production and which breed is more likely to go broody and be a good mommy and we want to stick with a good personality too!

Thank you!!!!

My orpingtons go broody a lot more often than my (partridge) rocks ever have. In fact, just this summer was the first time I ever had a rock brood and raise young.

Both breeds are great. But if you just want broodies...might I suggest: Silkies, Old English Game, or Cochins.

Have fun and happy hatching.

Of the two, I'd suggest the Orpington. Nothing against the Rock, but the Orpington is more likely to go broody and is as good as the Rock concerning egg laying and personality.

More eggs would be the BR. Good broodies would be the Orps. I'm hatching out some Orps in the spring so I can have some broodies. Orps are great layers too, but the BR lays more.

Why choose? Get some of each!

Individuals do vary greatly, but my BO started laying 45 days ago, and has given me 44 eggs. My BR's are up to about 4 a week now, but their eggs are still small. I expect size and numbers to increase closer to spring.

In terms of personality, the BO is very sweet and docile. I think of her as a little ditzy, but well meaning.

One BR is a bit standoffish, and the other is a bit on the curious side. She's always pecking at my sweater, or my feet, or my hands for treats. She's pushy but fun. I wouldn't call them sweet, but they're more clever than my other birds.

I had to get rid of my BSL. She was way too loud, and not the slightest bit friendly. It sounds like you love yours... Just further proof that individuals do vary.

I have two BO hens. One of them I'm quite fond of. She is friendly and curious, always the first to come hang with me when I'm out in the backyard, chattering away to me the whole time. I've become used to her conversational tone as she expresses either surprise or curiosity about what I'm doing. The other is personality-less, sad to say. She's just kind of "there". Doesn't approach us, shows no interest in us, doesn't do chit-chat. As long as she lays well when the time comes (she's currently only 3 months old), I'll be happy with her but I don't have any particularly fond feelings for her. I also have a BR rooster and a PR hen. The rooster is the friendliest bird I've ever had. He comes at a run whenever I go outside and hangs so close to me I've almost stepped on him a few times. I can reach down and pick him up or pet him and he seems to actually enjoy it. He eats gently out of my hand but hangs with me even if I don't have treats. The hen is only 10 weeks old but has always been my favorite among the chicks I got. In the brooder she was the only one who ever approached me to eat out of my hand, and even now that she is outside, she is still likely to run up to me or follow me around. She has more personality than the RIR or Red Star that she has grown up with, and is definitely the dominant hen among the three.

If I were you, I'd probably get both, but if that isn't an option and you do have to choose one I don't think you'll be unhappy with either. Only you can know whether egg-laying or broodiness is your top priority but if you want both, get both varieties, since a hen that is broody doesn't lay so if you have both you can still get eggs while the broody hen is sitting.

Both are sweeties.but I feel my orp.
is more social.with all the
other excellent traits.
clap.gif

My dad was SORELY disappointed that I didn't get any barred rocks when I got my chicks XD They're good layers, and what I grew up with, but I wanted something different.

I'm with PhiladelphiaPhlock, though, get both! Variety is the spice of life.

Back
Top Bottom