Buff Orphingtons Emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dreweysmom, Jan 2, 2015.

1. dreweysmom

dreweysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    I have 2- 5 week old Buff Orphingtons and 1 of them all of the sudden lost all movement in her head and cant raise it. We have u given her an Epson Salt Bath and I am giving her water with Mother's in it. She can drink and eat but you have to hold her head up, Can you please help..... Please let me know what kind of information you need. I have 2 more silkies that are in a coop with a Frizzle.Silkie mixed. Then I have a Fighting Cocks daughter in a pen by herself cause she is so mean and nothing is wrong with the rest of the gang....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is the chick today? Has the chick been hurt or picked on? Is it dehydrated and weak? Does it move it's legs and arms, and can it stand? Is the neck drooped like it is a spasm, such as in wry neck? I would dip the chick's beak into vitamin and electrolyte water as often as possible (SavAChick, Pedialyte, or Gatorade would do.)

1 person likes this.
  3. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    2-5 weeks, might be crazy chick disease too. Might want to squirt some vit E capsule into their water, onto their food, however you can get it in them. I had 3 with this a couple of months ago and 2 were the classic extending their neck shaking their head and one was just head dropping. They all recovered with vitamin/electrolyte water, vit E and I changed their feed to something pricier. Vit E will be in any vit/electrolyte water, but higher doses won't hurt.

4. dreweysmom

dreweysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    She passed away this morning, I did probiotics also with the mothers. What all can you do with Vitamin E? I am also putting the other chick in her brooder in the coop with the others, how long should I keep the baby in the bvrooder?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

6. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Sorry about your chick. If it was crazy chick disease, your other buff orphington's are likely at risk. It usually happens at 3-4 weeks. I have seen it where a chick can raise it's head but it will slowly lower it till it's beak hits the ground.
    You can poke a pin in a vit E capsule and put it in their water. You'll have to agitate the water to distribute the vit E since they don't mix well. I would also dribble it into their feed and then put a thin layer of feed on it. Just so it would get on everything and get in the chicks. I've tried squirting a capsule into their beaks, but it's super gummy and I won't try that again.
    I'm not sure about the brooder question, but I would stick with the usual temp rules for chicks, dropping it by 5 degrees each week from 95ish.
    I'm a beginner and just know a little about crazy chick because I went through it. I'm sure their are other possibilities, some of which are vit deficiencies.
    I'd give your healthy chicks of the same age vit/electrolyte water just in case, not daily if their healthy, but every 2-3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by