Buff orpignton Roo x Buckeye pullets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eneick17, May 2, 2017.

1. eneick17

eneick17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    HEY,
    I am thinking about crossing by buckeye pullets to a orpington cockeral. they are just under 5 weeks now, the pullets maybe 6. does anyone have had any experience with this cross or a similar one? If so can you give me an idea/picture of the adults?
    thank you!
    Eneick17

2. CanadianBuckeye

CanadianBuckeye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2015
    Cadmus, Ontario Canada
    I am guessing it's a Buff Orpington rooster? Then you can expect buff chicks, but they won't be a nice clean gold colour like the rooster (should be). A good monochrome buff without different shades is difficult to get, and by crossing with Buckeyes the chicks will have one copy of the mahogany gene that will darken the colour and make the shading uneven. They will probably be New Hampshire- like, a brighter orangey red rather than the dark Buckeye red. They will have white skin and legs like their dad. The combs will look like pea combs but will be bigger. Single combs will reappear in the next generation if you cross back to that orpington rooster. The offspring won't be as soft feathered as orpingtons, or as hard feathered as Buckeyes. I think they will look like pea combed New Hampshires. But you never know, it really depends on their background and whether the parents are pure breeds- or might have something else in their background. Then the chicks may surprise you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by