Buff Orpington - 10 weeks old... Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vincecruz, Aug 4, 2014.

1. vincecruz

vincecruz In the Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Howdy All!

Could anyone help me out? I have 8 buffs and this guy / gal is the only one that looks different... I feel it has the head of a rooster but acts like a hen with a busy butt...

Any feedback would be awesome thanks!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    With that much comb at 10 wks old im saying cockeral.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, with that much comb, I'd be saying cockerel as well. Here is a picture of my 14 week old buff orpingtons.
    [​IMG]

4. vincecruz

vincecruz In the Brooder

May 13, 2014
    thanks for the response =)

unfortunately, that is what i was afraid of... i might have to find a new home for him...

thanks!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I would wait a few weeks and worry about re-homing when (if) you start hearing crowing - while I agree that is a lot of comb for 10 weeks, I am not convinced that this is a rooster just yet and would hate to see you re-home a pullet in error. Here is a thread in which I had concern about my own BO who was then 10 weeks old - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/885682/10-week-old-bo she is now 22 weeks old and the best layer I have so far. While her comb is a bit smaller than your bird's, I am not entirely convinced and try not to answer based on just one characteristic, and am not seeing any other tells just yet in this bird - which is what a few more weeks can give you. Worst case scenario you start hearing crows or see further development and then re-home the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: