Buff Orpington - 10 weeks. We think he's a roo, input appreciated.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by m.kitchengirl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    so, its the standard problem. got 6 pullets, think that 2 are roosters.
    my boyfriend says we have to get rid of roosters, but i love this guy. (when i agreed i'd never met a rooster i didn't hate.) he's nice to the girls (if he is a "he") and very friendly with me & the family. he hasn't crowed yet, thank goodness. i'm afraid they'll make me send him to "freezer camp" once he does. (unless Buff Orpingtons don't have loud crows...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Wow! At 10 weeks, I believe you've got yourself the beginning of a beautiful Roo! [​IMG]
    My girls are just now that red and they are 18 weeks, but the feathers aren't screaming roo either, but I still am voting Roo.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It looks like he sort of knows what his fate might be and he's already hiding. He's very cute.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

your orpington picture #2 looks just like my black orpington in the comb, in regards to starting right above the nostrils.
    I can't see the feathering well in your photos though, or the legs. But based on the large fleshy area/angle of the comb I would say roo - that's what I was told for mine too.

[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=539353

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm guessing roo too. Maybe you can convince him to let you keep just 1 roo? [​IMG]

6. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    i tried on pictures of feet, and more of tail area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and him with his, same age lady friend:

[​IMG]

and him struttin' his stuff w/ hermione the wyandotte:

[​IMG]

i know its a lot of photos, and maybe not helpful, but it is HARD to get a good photo of his feet. he loved the frozen peas today, it was so hot, they were WONDERFUL treat, i am sure.

thanks for all the input, i don't know how i'd do this whole chicken thing without byc folks. i'm working on the bf, its important to make them think it is their idea. i bought a roasting chicken at the farmer's market & it was wonderful. 3 more b.o.s hens & i could just do 2 pens of chickens... right?

7. m.kitchengirl

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    your orpington picture #2 looks just like my black orpington in the comb, in regards to starting right above the nostrils.

he's beautiful? is he a sweetheart, too? i'm wondering, if i do have to ... part with him ... will he be that "one of a kind" darling orpington rooster that i wish i could find when i DO start meat birds?​

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Why do you need to part with him? They are a nice calm bird. I hope you can keep him. [​IMG]

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Roo, but a nice looking one. My buffs did not have there combs that big until now and there 18 weeks

10. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Yikes, thats definately a Roo. They are usualy very gentle birds though. I would like to say that Orpigtons don't crow loud, but I have a tiny bantam rooster than can blow you away with his crows. If the crowing is the problem, I think you can have a roo de-crowed. I don't know where you could go to get it done, but you could ask an avian vet about it.

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by