Buff Orpington 3 Months old -Limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmacinnis, Nov 10, 2016.

1. kmacinnis

kmacinnis Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    New Ipswich NH
    I have a 3 month old Buff Orp that started to limp a week ago . I didn't see any signs of bumblefoot and assumed it was a sprain . Well it hasn't improved she is all bunched up and unable to move her leg. She's eating ok and not being picked on by the others but I'm not sure what the next move should be ?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Although injury would be the most common cause of her lameness, if her leg cannot move at all, I would start worrying about possible Mareks disease, which can be common at this age. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Is she able to stand if you sit her up? Can she move her other leg and her wings? Sometimes people use slings (see below) to get their chickens up off the floor, and place food and water within reach. If her leg is broken or sprained, it could have some swelling or bruising, and they can require a few weeks of rest. Some bad leg injuries may never get better. Here is some reading about Mareks:
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. kmacinnis

kmacinnis Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    New Ipswich NH
    She is able to hop around a bit & Her other leg is fine ...but cannot stand on the limp leg at all . she doesn't seem to have any wing issues . I moved her into a smaller coop with clean fresh shavings food and water to hopefully allow her to rest without straining her leg .

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep us posted on her condition.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I am sure she will be fine............Possibly landed off the roost wrong.....

Doom and Gloom is usually what you will get here.......

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by