Buff Orpington 7+ Weeks old - Cockerel or Pullet? update post#23

GardeNerd

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, so my neighbor is very worried. Two out of 5 of her chicks that are supposed to be pullets are looking a little suspicious. I posted a pic of the Australorp in a thread with mine, but here is the buff orpington.

She/he is 7 weeks old, 8 weeks on April 23rd. Any opinions on the gender? We are new to this. Thanks for any help.

Here are 3 pictures of her.
100_2285.jpg

100_2275.jpg

100_2273.jpg

Last edited:
I am so far from an expert it's not even funny... I am raising my own first set of chicks myself. I will tell you, however, that I have three Buff Orpington pullets and they are 10 weeks old tomorrow and none of them have that much comb or wattle growth or color... so I would be suspicious. I have no real clue... I can only compare yours to mine.

here's a pic of one of mine at 9.5 weeks old (this past Monday):

23722_triumphant_return_057.jpg

I had one that looked like that (actually was redder) and I would have sworn it was a roo. Then she laid an egg. Completely had me fooled. Now I have a 10 week old that could go either way. I'd say boy, but I'm waiting for a crow or an egg to be sure. Tricky little things.

the stance screams cockerel also, but there are always a few that no matter what the 'tells' are that fool you.

eventually, the answer will be ridiculously obvious. until then, it's like the question, "how many licks til the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Back
Top Bottom