Buff Orpington 8 weeks looks funny

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kingsley11743, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Kingsley11743

Kingsley11743 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    Hi all,
    This is my second round of BO's but first raising from chicks. I lost Round 1 to a raccoon invader of my coop :(. So I get 15 chicks in August, with three BO's. Two of the BO's look exactly the same, with similar coloring to my old ones (may they rest in peace). But one of the girls looks very different than the other two. She's got darker feathers, and almost has some whiter spots symmetrically placed over her wings and breast. I almost wonder if they mixed up at the hatchery & sent me a different breed. Does that happen? I'll send pix once I get home. Was just curious if there's variation within a breed as I hadn't seen that before.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it is possible that the hatchery gave you the wrong breed. Sometimes they substitute in breeds if enough of one don't hatch, or it may just be a mistake. Definitely post a photo. Even birds within a breed can look quite different, especially when they're hatchery stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by