Buff Orpington acting Aggressive- Is she a he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marinwoo, Oct 21, 2013.

1. marinwoo

marinwoo New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Hey everyone! I'd love to know what your thoughts are on our Buff Orpingtons. One has been acting aggressively toward my 2 yr old especially but is generally always trying to "hold her ground" to everyone. The one I'm concerned about is the Orp with the larger, redder comb and wattle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

The way he's standing looks like a rooster to me.. how old is he/she?

3. marinwoo

marinwoo New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    Whoops, should have mentioned they are about 16-17 weeks in these pictures :)

4. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not a great picture, but he's one of my Buffs at 18 weeks: These are both hens

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I'd need to see the saddle feathers to be sure, but it looks awful roo-ish to me. My buff orp roo was very sweet up until he started to mature, then he turned into an absolute MONSTER. Attacked me, the other hens, anything that moved.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Looks like a pullet to me.

8. marinwoo

marinwoo New Egg

Oct 21, 2013
    I have a few more pictures. I hope they help. For some reason my chickens just won't stand still for the camera :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. scroushore

scroushore New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    I have 2 Buff Orps as well around the same age as yours. Same thing, one has a bigger comb and waddle then the other. Turns out they are both female. They just started laying eggs. They do show aggression towards my 6 week old Lavender Orpingtons, not sure if its just pecking order or not.

10. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see any saddle feathers so I would say pullet, some hens do mature faster than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by