1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington Advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Orpie, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    I would love some feedback and advice from Buff owners as to when their chicks began to lay. Mine are about 41/2- 5 months. All have very pronounced combs and wattles. They are reddening daily. All have good tail feathers showing. Can't really say if I've noticed any squatting. Thanks for the help

2. Grins

Grins New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Montana
    We have 2 reaching maturity, one has started laying, the other has not. They are both just over 22 weeks.

3. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    My first Buff Orpington started laying at 6 months. The red combs are a good sign though!

4. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Thank u all

5. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Our BO girls are all laying now. First ones started at just over 5 months. They started getting red combs and wattles, didn't squat for me but did for my Niece. Guess I wasn't acceptable lol. When one lays now they all join in announcing the egg! The older girls are in another coop run and the noise sets them off, it sounds like an egg laying competition going on outside. Either that or who can do the egg song the loudest. Good thing we are in the country neighbors would be having fits by now.

To get them laying in nests and not on floor like they had been. We put in some old wood boxes with straw and ceramic eggs that are marked on an end to tell us they are the fake ones. They started using them immediately here I thought it would be a fight to get them to use the boxes like it was with the older girls who still occasionally lay on the floor.

I have them switched over to laying feed now with oyster shells and grit free choice. They all get veggie scraps or stuff right from garden including weeds. A Friend brings over weeds zucchini and other stuff for them too. She is a big baker and loves the eggs they provide. We love her baked goods so it evens out.

Good luck with your Chickens!

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My 2 BO's started laying at the 22 - 23 week mark.

- Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by