buff orpington and araucana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WildDoeDeer, Dec 2, 2014.

1. WildDoeDeer

WildDoeDeer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    okay, so today i went outside to collect eggs. my Buff Opington and Araucana (only two chickens) came running up to, i went to there coop and there was no eggs (they do usually lay in the late afternoon) so i grabbed the bucket that held corn, oatmeal and other seeds i sat down and took a handful out like i normally do and my Araucana grabbed the Buff by the waddle and yanked her away and then pecked her in the eye. i freaked out and only gave the Buff the seeds and yelled no to the Araucana. i don't know what got into her? can anyone help? i don't want my Buff to bleed or worse!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

LOVE your avatar!

Your Araucana probably just got jealous and greedy and is obviously the leader of the two. But know that this is normal especially when food is involved. Make sure they have plenty of space and feed. Rub some coconut oil on the wound if needed.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

As Mountain Peeps said, your Araucana is likely more dominant and exercised her power by driving the other bird away from the food. When I give my chickens treats, the dominant hens often peck at the other chickens to make them go away. To solve this when feeding treats, put down small piles of treats in different places so that they aren't clustered together and every bird can get something to eat.

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

As the above posters have said, this is a pecking order thing. One is dominant over the other. I know it is hard to watch this sort of thing but it does go on in everybody's flock. Mine included! Try feeding them treats differently as when there is food involved, one of them can become aggressive. Sprinkle the treats wide on the floor so there is plenty of space, or feed them in several separate tubs. Then when they are each off doing something different, you can hand feed your favorites. Unfortunately you can't train this out of them so you need to adjust you you work with them. This is common in every flock. As long as nobody gets really hurt, then don't worry about it. If one of them does turn really mean, you may need to cage the meanie for a while or use pinless peepers on the meanie.

Good luck with your flock and keep up all the lovin'!

6. WildDoeDeer

WildDoeDeer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Thank you for the advise it is really helping

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Good luck with them!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X2 on the other posters. Good luck with your birds!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by