Buff orpington and leghorn pullet or roo???

jlborello

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Florida
I posted
[/IMG] awhile back about these two. Here are some new pics they are both about 9-10 weeks. Pullet or Roos??

IMO, the Buff Orpington is a rooster, as the legs and skull are thick, and the comb is red/prominent. As for the white bird, I'm not sure. Do you know what breed it is? It looks like a white leghorn to me, and I know that even the pullets of that breed can develop large red combs at a young age. But if it isn't a leghorn, then I'm going to say its a cockerel.

-----
Edited: I just realized that the white bird has red earlobes, so it can't be a leghorn. Pretty sure its a cockerel.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a white leghorn. As for the buff, I can't seem to score a pullet!!!! Everyone I have gotten turns out a roo!!!!

I am pretty sure the white one is a leghorn. It looks just like other leghorn pics on the internet, that's what the guy told me who I got them from, and it has many of the leghorn behaviors and characteristics. So if not a leghorn what breed would you say?

I am pretty sure the white one is a leghorn. It looks just like other leghorn pics on the internet, that's what the guy told me who I got them from, and it has many of the leghorn behaviors and characteristics. So if not a leghorn what breed would you say?
I do agree that it looks like a leghorn, at least in body type. The only thing that is making me think it isn't a leghorn is its reddish earlobes; however, many white earlobed birds only develop their white earlobes when they get older, until then, the earlobes are reddish. At least that is how it is in my white-earlobed Dutch bantams. So now that I think of it, your white bird probably is a white leghorn, and could be either a cockerel or pullet--I'm not sure; leghorns can be tricky. Sorry for the confusion...

No problem, I am thinking the leghorn is a pullet. My main thing is the B.O. Really hoping for a pullet!!

I'm pretty sure it's a white leghorn pullet.
The orp I'm iffy on. first glance said pullet, but I am seeing thick legs and some shading coming in on the wing. if these Orp guys weren't so slow to show their colors it'd be easier! Most other breeds it would be pretty obvious by now, but these gentlemen play it close for months sometimes.

I've had a Leghorn cockerel in my batch of pullets and yours is a girl b/c my cockerel has nice red comb and wattles at 7 weeks old. Yours may be maturing a bit early, one of mine did. The BO looks like a boy because of the face, feathers, legs, and prominent comb and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom