Buff Orpington - are they good winter egg layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MareeZoCool, Apr 11, 2010.

1. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My hubby has gotten a touch of chicken fever! We have one BA hen, and 1 OEG roo, we both treasure our fresh eggs. Hubby has decided another hen will be a good idea, since we both treasure gathering & eating fresh eggs.
    There are three suppliers nearby where we can pick up some pullets. I like the looks of the BO, do they lay all winter, as does my BA?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Mine do with lights on-they are great hearty winter layers:)

3. peggym

peggym Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Yes!!!! the buffs are really good layers and very sweet girls to boot!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My BO was doing well through winter until we lost her just after Christmas.

5. prancie

prancie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    during the coldest weather in a century here in Alabama i was getting 4 eggs a day most days from my 4 hens.

6. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I have 10 orps and I was getting one egg per bird every other day during the coldest/darkest days this past winter. And it was very cold (I live in Maine). So I would have to say that they are good winter layers.[​IMG]

7. bawkbawk

bawkbawk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    We live in northern Arizona, where it is really cold at night. Even with five feet of snow, our buffs were laying about 5 eggs a week each. They are beautiful, cold-hardy, and just the sweetest hens around.

If we get more chickens, I will get more buff orpingtons. We love them!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Buff Orpingtons are very good layers in winter. [​IMG]
    As long as you have a heat lamp in their coop at night. But even if you don't they still lay eggs! [​IMG]

9. ByHisHands

ByHisHands Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    Our BO's started laying in the dead of winter, we were so happy [​IMG] We also had a heat lamp in the coop.

10. sunshynertc

sunshynertc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    California
    I have two Buff Orpingtons and I am getting 2 eggs a week from them. One of my Wyandottes is molting so she is not laying. The other Wyandotte is laying an egg a day. The Olive Egger is laying an egg a day. None of my other hens are laying. They include two Ameraucanas, one Rhode Island red, and one Easter Eggers.

We do not have a heating lamp in the coop so maybe that is why we are getting so few eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by