Buff Orpington, Australorp, and Silver Laced Wyandotte Chicago Area

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mmag, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mmag

mmag New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    I have the same situation as the other post about the rhode island reds. I live in the next suburb over and my neighbor (who has a couple of really loud dogs that run around all day) called animal control on my chickens.

Our 10 Buff Orpingtons have just started to lay beautiful light brown eggs. We raised from day old chicks (we didn't think they would all survive being our first time). The Australrop and Wyandotte are about a month away from laying and we would prefer they go together as they are quite attached to each other.

I've posted them craigslist for $20 because I want to deter people from getting them and eating them for meat. We'll even throw in the coop if someone is able to take them all. However, I would just like to see them go to a good home. I'm really sad....

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you allowed to have chickens in your neighborhood? I would call and find out the county ordinances first.

Call animal control on their dogs.

3. mmag

mmag New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    There's an ordinance against keeping farm animals and chickens fall under that designation is what I was told.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Go to town hall and get theordinance in writing before you give up your chickens. Also contact the chicken undergound.

5. mmag

mmag New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    "It shall be unlawful to harbor or keep, any live cattle, swine, sheep, or goat, or to raise any chickens or other fowl anywhere in the village." [​IMG]
    How do I contact the chicken underground?

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    merriam-webster
    seams to me if you have chickens that are grown there should be no proublem.
    Raise would imply that your raising young.You dont raise adults right?????
    Main Entry: 1raise
    Pronunciation: \\ˈrâz\\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): raised; rais·ing
    Etymology: Middle English reisen, raisen, from Old Norse reisa — more at rear
    Date: 13th century
    transitive verb
    1: to cause or help to rise to a standing position
    2 a: awaken, arouse b: to stir up : incite <raise a rebellion> c: to flush (game) from cover d: to recall from or as if from death
    3 a: to set upright by lifting or building <raise a monument> b: to lift up <raise your hand> <raise sunken treasure> c: to place higher in rank or dignity : elevate d: heighten, invigorate <raise the spirits> e: to end or suspend the operation or validity of <raise a siege>
    4: to get together for a purpose : collect <raise funds>
    5 a: grow, cultivate <raise cotton> b: to bring to maturity : rear <raise a child> c: to breed and bring (an animal) to maturity
    6 a: to give rise to : provoke <raise a commotion> b: to give voice to <raise a cheer>
    7: to bring up for consideration or debate <raise an issue>
    8 a: to increase the strength, intensity, or pitch of <don't raise your voice> b: to increase the degree of c: to cause to rise in level or amount <raise the rent> d (1): to increase the amount of (a poker bet) (2): to bet more than (a previous bettor) e (1): to make a higher bridge bid in (a partner's suit) (2): to increase the bid of (one's partner)
    9: to make light and porous <raise dough>
    10: to cause to ascend <raise the dust>
    11: to multiply (a quantity) by itself a specified number of times <raise two to the fourth power>
    12: to bring in sight on the horizon by approaching <raise land>
    13 a: to bring up the nap of (cloth) b: to cause (as a blister) to form on the skin
    14: to increase the nominal value of fraudulently <raise a check>
    15: to articulate (a sound) with the tongue in a higher position
    16: to establish radio communication with
    intransitive verb
    1dialect : rise
    2: to increase a bet or bid
    synonyms see lift
    — rais·er noun
    — raise Cain or raise hell
    1: to act wildly : create a disturbance
    2: to scold or upbraid someone especially loudly <raised hell with the umpire>
    — raise eyebrows : to cause surprise or mild disapproval
    — raise the bar : to set a higher standard <new software that raises the bar for competitors>

Main Entry: 2raise
    Function: noun
    Date: 1538
    1: an act of raising or lifting
    2: a rising stretch of road : an upward grade : rise
    3: an increase in amount: as a: an increase of a bet or bid b: an increase in wages or salary
    4: a vertical or inclined opening or passageway connecting one mine working area with another at a higher level

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Google it.

You will find lots of people who have gotten variances and changed the ordinances for having chickens.

Contact Sea_Chick - her 10 yr old daughter did last summer. [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    With food prices rising, eggs 18% since the first of the year, many people have been lobbying their local governments to change the rules. Ann Arbor Michigan just enacted an ordinance to allow 4 hens. You may have to give up these but save your coop and equipment. Start a partition drive to change the local ordinance and call animal control everytime that dog barks, and call the neighbor everytime that dog makes a sound that you can hear. Fair is fair, right is right. Stand up and crow

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I can't tell you how bad this makes me feel for you and for your chickens. Try to fight. I'm rootin' for ya! [​IMG]

10. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

"It shall be unlawful to harbor or keep, any live cattle, swine, sheep, or goat, or to raise any chickens or other fowl anywhere in the village."

I read that as stating that it is unlawful to KEEP cattle, swing, sheep or goats. It is unlawful to RAISE chickens or any other fowl.

It doesn't say that it is unlawful to KEEP chickens or other fowl. It would be more parsimonious - simpler to have written the law by adding the word chicken after the word goat and end it there. One might reasonable interpret the use of the word "raise" to have a different meaning than "keep" ... I agree with pdsavage. An attorney (if you have means) or legal aid person might be able to assist you.

Oh - and if you want to fight city hall - you might want to see if there is someone with chickens that is further out from the city who might be willing to board your girls for a while....that way you could have them back when you win!!! *smile*

I am so sorry you are in this situation. Best wishes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by