Buff Orpington, Australorps, Welsummers and Plymouth Rock??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by openheartnurse, Jan 19, 2012.

1. openheartnurse

openheartnurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    My question for this thread is ... do they get along well together? are they hardy for cold weather but also tolerate the heat (0F - 100F)? Looking for a hand full of good hens. Thanks again ladies and gents!

2. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Orps and ausralorps get along with everyone. Not sure about the others, but I don't see why not. If you get them all together as chicks everyone will be fine. Check out the breed section and click on Heat and cold tolerance on the bar on the left and you can see some other choices.

1 person likes this.
  3. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    If not cramped, they should get along fine. They should also do fine in that temp range.

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

They will take to each other just like family. Depending upon your family that will either reassure you or set you to pondering. . .

Just be sure they are all near the same age when you get them. Chicks are probably best, but even young stock is adaptable.

5. sue ragan

sue ragan New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    my buff orington frequently lays eggs up to would you believe 4 ounces is this normal,do most all buffs lay this size eggs,thanks ,sue

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Of the breeds you listed, Australorps are the best egg-layers. Australorps do well in cold and heat. They were bred in Australia. They are also friendly.

Buff Orpingtons would be the least tolerant of heat.

7. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    Buff orps and aussies do well here in upstate NY( <0F in the winters to >100F in the summers)... plymouth rocks handle it well too, but I have never had a positive experience with that breed... they are rather productive and seem to get along ok with other chickens, but every Rock I have ever known has become very aggressive towards people when they matured... I understand it might just be a particular strain of the breed that is common around these parts, but I tend to steer clear of Rocks... don't know much about Welsummers, but most of what I have heard has been good...

8. roosterjrm

roosterjrm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    I have some Welsummers and they are very gentle, calm at least mine has been, and lay very dark brn.egg somewhat speckled.

9. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Our Rocks are the most aggressive of our birds, might be the particular strain we have, as I know most reviews are good on them, but certainly has not been our experience. They pick on our orpingtons relentlessly. Out of our 4 breeds the Orps are by far the least aggressive. Very friendly and calm.

10. luis torrijos

luis torrijos Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    I don't know if some one have hens for sale thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by