Buff Orpington babies... hopefully gr8 city chickens!

geojane42

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Just showing off our babies
smile.png
We picked them up last weekend. Sadly we lost one the first night but the remaining 9 all seem happy, healthy and strong. We're only keeping one of them but our friends and neighbours are scooping up the rest. Vancouver just passed the new backyard chicken bylaws so I decided to get enough to share and hopefully save a lot of unnecessary trips out to the country to pick up chickens. We aren't technically allowed to have chicks because the city doesn't want a bunch of roosters running around but these babies are sexed. It has been my experience that buying older farm chickens is hard on everyone. The chickens aren't used to having a lot of contact with people and tend to be flighty. I thought it would be better to bring some chicks in to the city and hand raise them until they are 'legal age' (4 months) then pass them on to their new homes. Hopefully no one will rat me out as I really think this is a much better way to do it.

DSCF0939.jpg

Cute i have 3. I wanted the buff for there broodyness. I hope they go broody anyways. Buffs are just a great all around bird. Thanks for the pics.

Quote:
We're only allowed to have 4 hens according to our city bylaws. Including the chicks, I currently have 17. We figure we can get away with having 8 since we have a really large property and friendly, supportive neighbours who enjoy fresh eggs but we are trying to control our addiction as much as possible. We're getting a Chanteclare and an Americauna this weekend too. Thought it would be nice to have a selection.

Back
Top Bottom