Buff Orpington--Bobby or Beatrice?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GullibleChick, Nov 6, 2010.

1. GullibleChick

GullibleChick New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

So...over the summer I posted pics of my handsome RIR cockerels that were supposed to be girls. They have gone to loving homes where they each have their own flock. I mentioned I had purchased a pair of buffs that were sexed by, ahem, a key on a string. One was killed by the neighbor's dog and the other is a big fluffy thing at 4 months. I have been certain this bird was a cockerel and then I was certain it was a pullet. Now I am throwing my hands in the air and posting a pic. This is Bea at about three months. If I can corner her/him, I will try for a more recent one.

Some background: my husband went looking for Beatrice one evening because he didn't see her in the box. Turns out one of the other two hens (black sex-links) was sitting on her. Beatrice likes to fluff up her feathers and is occasionally seen on top of the other hens. I have heard that aggressive hens will do this, though, so not a fully determining factor. Haven't heard any crowing, but Bea has some large legs.

If this pic doesn't help, I will try to grab another one. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Your picture didn't post correctly....

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My husband thinks its a Roo!

4. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

That is a tough one. The body is definitely shaped like a cockerel. Don't see any saddle or hackle feathers yet, though.

I am voting Bobby.

5. GullibleChick

GullibleChick New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    [​IMG] That figures. Anyone want a handsome 4-month-old buff? Live in a subdivision, etc...

6. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Sorry - I think that's a roo. [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also vote roo.

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009