1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buff Orpington boy or girl? -- and a Black ??? *2nd UPDATE!*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Robin'sBrood, May 22, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm supposed to have all girls, as we picked them out in person 2 weeks ago. I was told the BO is supposed to be about 7-8 weeks old. Nice comb coming in there... is it a Buffy, or a Biff?

Also, I was told the black one is a Minorca. Can anyone confirm that? He also had Black Australorps for sale but called mine a Black Minorca. She is the same size/age as the BO.

Is the Silver Laced Wyandotte, who is supposedly the same age as the BO and the Black whatever, supposed to be so much smaller? She's not much larger than the two Millie Fleur Bantams in there.

I'm new to this, can ya tell? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case anyone has ever wondered about this, we built the 3' x 10' mini portable chicken tractor found on motherearthnews. It's pretty sturdy and cost around $150, including the large dog house. We're going to build a second one for the Bantams when they get a little older.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    The buff orpington looks like a boy to me, and about 7 weeks old. At 8 weeks mine had lost all their shedding neck "fluff". Sorry I can't help with the others.

3. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Your buff Orp look like a roo. My orps are 9-10 weeks old and their comb is much smaller. Their waddles are non-existant.

The others look like hens...just don't know the breed. Good luck with that.

4. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    ahhh....I'd definately say a he... [​IMG] from comparing your to mine. Mine are 10 weeks and barely have a comb and certainly not waddles yet.

nice looking chicks tho.... [​IMG]

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Oh no, I can't have a rooster! [​IMG] We live in a subdivision and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate that at all. When will I be able to know for sure? He/she is our favorite too. [​IMG]

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Well--FYI--I had a blue orp that I SWORE was a roo. Large comb from day one. I posted on here last week and everyone agrees it is a hen.....I think the buffs can throw you a bit. wait and see.............

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Ok, I won't make any decisions unless I hear crowing. [​IMG]

Any ideas about the black one? Or why the Silver Laced is so small?

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, but I am positive that your Buff Orp is a rooster. The comb and wattles are pink already. The pullets of that breed don't get pink combs and wattles for MONTHS. And I hate to say it, but the SLW seems to have a cockerel's coloring and a pinky comb, too.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  9. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    HenMama what state are you in?

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm in NC, not too far from Raleigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by