Buff Orpington - Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dark Dozens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Dark Dozens

Dark Dozens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Berkshire County, MA
    I ordered 8 female Buff Orpington chicks. All the chicks are beautiful, but this chick just seems different. Its feathers are growing in slower than the other chicks' feathers. It also has a very strong personality. It is the only chick that has escaped from the brooder. Though I intended to only have hens, a rooster would make things a little more interesting. Any thoughts on the sex of this chicken? These pictures were taken at 4 1/2 weeks.
  2. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Hi there. Well it is hard to tell but those are thick legs. A pic with one of the others might help out a bit. I have 1 buff and I love her!!! You are lucky to have more than one!
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Holy moly, look at those tree trunks for legs! And I see pink wattles coming in, so I say you have a boy.
  4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    he looks like hes going to be a bruiser
  5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Too young for me to tell. I also ordered 12 sexed chicks (just didn't want a crowing rooster to wake my husband up-he works nights). Of course one of them turned out to be a roo! I have 6 Buff O's and 6 RIR's. The rooster is a RIR. If it is a roo, it wont be long before the comb and wattles will start growing more than the hens. I kept my rooster after my husband (the one who was ADAMANT about not wanting a rooster) said "He wont bother me while I sleep." I do have ear plugs, but I think it is sooo funny that he wont let me get rid of the rooster.
  6. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    I ordered 5 buff Orpingtons pullets early this month and I believe I have 2 roos as well. What do your others look like?
  7. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
  8. Dark Dozens

Dark Dozens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Berkshire County, MA
    For comparison, these are pics of one of my other chickens. These pics were taken at 4 1/2 weeks.
  9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I have 3 BO's. For the first 3 months I was convinced one was a boy! Presented a larger comb, wattles, thick legs, and bold personality from the get go. She is almost 7 months old now, and gives me 3-4 eggs a week! It is really too soon to tell on yours. A lot of us end up with Rooster/Hens...the "It's Pat" of the chicken world, I suppose! By 3 to 4 months you will be able to tell.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Dark Dozens,

Do your birds in the first set of pictures have White or Yellow legs?

From the pictures the legs look Yellow and if so they wold be Buff Plymouth Rocks not Buff Orpingtons...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by