Buff Orpington .. Boy or Girl?

paulsmithswife

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Red Bluff, California
I got 4 BO Pullets earlier this year. They are now 25 weeks. Three of them are wonderful and consistent layers .. since beginning of August.

I have gotten 4 eggs on 2 days in the last couple weeks .. but, I don't think one of them is laying .. but, she isn't cockadoodle-doing either ..
Is it possible that she is not laying ? Is it possible that she is a him?

First time ever chicken owner .. so, I don't know much. Any help would be great. If you need pictures .. let me know, and I will try to figure it out.

Is it bigger than the other hens? Big wattles combs, thick legs? Long tail? If it has those characteristics, its a roo. If it looks like the other hens it is most likely a pullet that just hasn't started to lay yet. Pics might help though, to do them, go to the top bar where you log in, click the "uploads" a new page will open up. From there select the picture off your computer and upload it
big_smile.png
Then copy the image code.

If the suspect bird isn't crowing at 25 weeks, my guess would be that its a pullet. My thought is that there should be VERY obvious differences in the two birds by now if they were different sexes. Some birds just take longer to start laying.

Pullet. By now, I think you would notice a difference not only in comb and wattles, but hackle and saddle feathers, and probably a longer tail, curving downwards a bit. Our BO roo was gorgeous! His hackle feathers were iridescent orange. I think you've got all girls---some birds, even sisters, seem to mature more slowly than others. We had one Barred Rock that didn't lay until about 10 1/2 months.

There is another, but it's hiding in the tomatoes right now. Would rather wait for her? to come out then stomp the plants.

Thanks for the help.
My concern is that I am in city limits .. so, no roosters! And, I have one that makes the weirdest noises .. but, hope springs eternal.

You have some BEAUTIFUL pullets. I am envious (my two BO eggs I bought and hatched were both roosters this year, was hoping to replace the 2 BO hens that are 3 yrs old)

Back
Top Bottom