Buff Orpington boys or girls? UPDATED w/ PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Magnolia86, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Magnolia86

Magnolia86 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, so I ordered 25 B.O Pullets from MM back in October. As they got older I noticed 9 of them took forever to feather out, unlike the others, so thinking they might possibly be males I banded them. Now I am noticing the ones that are banded have tail feathers that curve downwards and are in general smaller than the ones that I left unbanded. The unbanded ones (which i believe are females) are larger and have fanned out feathers and feathered out so much faster than the ones that are banded (the banded ones like I mentioned earlier are the ones I believe are roosters)

So, does it sound like I have this right? This is my first time raising B.O's and just want to know for sure before we sell or butcher any of the "roosters". Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I can upload some pics tomorrow if needed.

2. Magnolia86

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Oops, I failed to mention that they will be 3 months old the 16 of this month.

3. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    We would need pictures in order to give you an opinion.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pics would help from the side and in good lighting. if any of them are a 2 toned buff coloring most noticeable on the wings then those are cockerels

5. chickenboy2001

chickenboy2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hillsborough, NC
    To tell we need pictures

6. Magnolia86

Oct 2, 2012
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, here are some pics. The first few pics are of one that I think is a male. The other (the one with the pink band) is one that I think is a female. These two I hatched out and they are a little over 3 1/2 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sunny Dawn

Sunny Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    The second one is definitely a pullet. As for the first....I am not sure. No pointy saddle feathers and doesn't look like is developing a large comb or waddles. By the time my orp Roos were 14 weeks it was VERY obvious that they were not pullets. Good luck - my vote is they are both girls.

8. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    im thinking that they are both girls. the first one is a little tricky[​IMG]

9. chickenboy2001

chickenboy2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hillsborough, NC
    The first and second are pullets, and the other two are cockerels. Probably.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Both are girls! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by