Buff Orpington breathing oddly

carolinewatts4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Whenever I pick up my buff Orpington she breathes very heavy. No panting it's just that the breathing is audible and my other chickens don't do that. It's every time up pick her up. I'm not holding her tight or anything. Help?

She's sick. Put her in a pen where she can have warmth, low light, protection from the others, preferably where she can see and hear them. Make sure she's eating and drinking well. She ideally needs an antibiotic, Tylan or something similar. Look to see what your feed store has. She could have one of many respiratory ailments that affect chickens. www.firststatevetsupply.com has a lot of chicken meds and advice, too.

She probably has a Respiratory Infection.

Isolate, Add small amount of Apple cider vinegar to water if not already in water( between one tsp and 2 Tbsp in a gallon of water). Make sure eating and drinking well. Antibiotics would help if you can obtain.

Last edited:
I should probably listen to her on the ground, however she is the only one who makes that sound. I hold all of my chickens the same way.

Yes but it could just be early. Like the guy that gets that slight cough and then a few days later it becomes full blown. But wheezing /other noises is definitely a sign of a respiratory problem. Can't tell you if it's fungal bacterial or viral tho. Viral you can't do anything. Fungal is horrible and much worse than bacterial but less common then Bacterial and fungal treated with a antifungal. Bacterial is the more common and treated with antibiotic.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6675258_chicken-respiratory-diseases.html

So this is like an early stage? Because she acts normally

Probably

Ok so if I get tylan, it's an injectable. Where should I inject it safley

I wouldn't mess with the injections if you never done it before... (I know this is counter-intuitive but you don't want to miss. They have very small target areas for the injection and you definitely have to be careful of the depth. So not unless you absolutely have to). I would use the water soluble. Chickens are 1 for all, All for one creatures. They love passing around every disease like it's chocolate cake. So medicating all their water would treat all and possibly in the early stages

Back
Top Bottom